We had a smoked pork loin for dinner today with cauliflower mash and I had this beautiful red cabbage and a tart Granny Smith apple to use up. With a low carb count today I figured one green apple in an entire pot of 1 red cabbage could not hurt. Here is a tasty recipe I hurriedly scribbled down when a lovely former neighbour called over the holidays. The family became wonderful friends to our family … this is from many many years ago when I was still a little girl. We were lucky enough to be introduced by Traudi to delicious German food as she is a fabulous cook as well as her wonderful family traditions. I’m officially old enough now to call those “the good old days”! Heartfelt thanks to a dear friend who is still as kind, thoughtful and much treasured and loved by our family. Thanks for the recipe Traudi – please forgive my little twists on your version!
- 1 medium red cabbage (if you only have a green cabbage – go for it!)
- 3 small onions
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic
- 3 tblspns oil, grapeseed
- 1 tart green apple
- 1 tsp each caraway seed, mustard seed, Chinese 5 spice or allspice, white pepper, salt
- 4 tblspns brown keto sugar
- 3 tblspns balsamic or other good vinegar
- 2 tblspns butter
- In a large pot that has a lid, heat the oil on medium to low heat
- When warm add spices and stir one to two minutes to infuse the oil
- Add diced onions and garlic, cook 4 minutes
- Add vinegar and keto sugar
- Let it cook until nicely glazed and onions are cooked through (forgot to take photos of this step!)
- Add the shredded cabbage and stir well until covered in onion and spice mix
- Add diced apple pieces, stir and place lid on pot, I did not peel the apples and they were fine!
- Cook gently over low heat for 30 minutes or longer if you like it really soft. I cooked it for 40 minutes as the red cabbage took a while to cook, it was very fresh
- When cooked, turn off stove and let rest 15 minutes with a dollop of butter on top. Lid on!
- Serve with pork and another veggie side.
- Delicious and healthy!
Here is the yummy tender pork loin my Sweetie smoked. Super tasty with jerk seasoning, paprika and sage!
This looks really good! I am going to give it a try!
Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment, I hope you enjoy it!