Spring is almost here. Almost! We have had a glorious week of sunshine and by tonight the rain is back, but I never begrudge the blessing of rain. We’re lucky to live in a place where water is not a challenge and I never take this for granted. My heart hurts when I hear of the escalating devastation of droughts around the world.
On a lighter note we were gifted the lovely company of two very dear friends recently. The beautiful spring daffodils and tussie-mussie they each gave us are here to share with you. Outside, the birds are busy; leaf buds are sprouting and blossoms are on the plum trees.
Two quick recipes to post and then I bid you adieu until next time!
The first recipe is one for when you have inventive ingredients to hand, or just to post for fun. Try your own version!
Delicata Squash and Cauliflower
- 1 cauliflower head
- 2 Delicata squash
- 4 thick slices Feta cheese
- Ground pepper
- Ground salt
- 1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 4 tblsp olive oil
- Figs to pop into the squash rings
- Wash all the veggies.
- Split the small cauliflower into quarters
- Place cauliflower in middle of roasting pan and wedge in the slices of feta cheese
- Drizzle with oil and season
- Top and tail your Delicata squash
- Slice into rounds
- Clean out seeds and innards
- Stuff with whole fig
- Drizzle over oil
- Sprinkle over Chinese 5 spice
- Roast in 350⁰F oven for 35 minutes or until cooked through
- Serve with your meat du jour!
Roasted Butternut Soup
- 2 medium to large butternut, peeled and diced
- Garam masala, turmeric, cumin, all spice, chilli powder, nigella seeds, saffron, paprika spice mix
- Grapeseed oil
- 2 large onions or 4 shallots
- 1 stick butter
- 4 sticks celery, chopped
- 1 peeled diced apple
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 6 – 8 cups chicken stock (to your likeness of consistency)
- Mexican spice mix (I know, but it worked!)
- 2 tsp parsley
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 thumb ginger, peeled, chopped and pressed through garlic press
- Place your diced butternut on cookie sheets, roll in spices and coat with oil and roast until nicely done and browned about 30-40 minutes on 375⁰F
- Melt the butter, stir fry the shallots/onions, celery, bell pepper until cooked through, add diced apple
- Add Mexican spices
- Set aside about a cup (or more if you like) of the roasted butternut
- Add the remainder of the roasted butternut to your cooked veggies, scraping in all the delicious residue oils and spices
- Stir together
- Add stock and let simmer for about 30 minutes
- Season with salt and pepper, add ginger and garlic
- Blend soup until smooth and then toss in the roasted butternut you kept back, its just nice to have the little pieces to give the soup substance
- Keep warm until serving
- Serve with a blob of sour cream and sprinkle of saffron or turmeric
Thank you for being here!
A few little visual snippets to add…
Brisket desk lunch at work.
Started painting miniatures again, this took me a day and it’s the size of your thumb.
Pavarotti the frog likes to watch me when I’m at work.
More flowers and an overbaked flourless chocolate cake … I’ll get it right next time!