Well, talk about winging it, this is it. I just did not feel like a buttery almond flour pie crust. I love hazelnuts. We have lovely granny Smith apples that needed to be used.
It ended up as a healthy wholesome spicy recipe that I think really turned out very tasty. Serve with sour cream or fresh, whatever you prefer, full cream Greek yogurt would be great too.
- Sliced apple from 5 peeled green apples
- 1 tsp Cinnamon per layer
- Chopped crystalized ginger to taste for each layer
- Orange or mandarin segments, per layer
- All Spice, just a little sprinkle per layer
- 1/2 cup ground hazelnut flour per layer
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds per layer
- 3 tsp chopped butter per layer
- 3 tbl keto sugar per layer
- Top with roasted hazelnut halves
Butter a pie dish, begin with apples and layer with spices, nut flour and chia seeds and segments of the citrus and ginger. Repeat until used up for each layer. Top with nuts and sugar and dot with butter. Sprinkle over either vanilla or caramel essence.
Bake 1 hour at 350F or until cooked through.
Serve with your choice or dairy topping, Creme Fraiche would be delightful!
You really can just use your imagination with this and I’m sure peaches added would be delicious too.