There are some combinations that are delicious.
I adore butternut and sage together, it’s a perfect marriage of flavour.
I love whisky. Oranges too … and I always sneak a splash of whisky into my keto marmalade. I know, sacrilege, right!
And ginger? It just enhances most flavours! Put together in restrained balance, you have a winner! I hope you make this, it’s utterly yummy.
- 1 large butternut
- 4 tblspn butter
- leaves only of 2 twigs of fresh sage (or use 2 tsp dried)
- 1 thumb joint of fresh ginger (or 1 tsp dried ground)
- 3 tblspn sugar free marmalade or zest of half an orange
- 4 tblspn whisky or the juice of half an orange
- Cut butternut into circles or cubes, peeled and de-seeded (please be careful!)
- Heat the butter in a large ovenproof pan, and gently fry the ginger to flavour the butter
- Add the sage, cook a few minutes only
- Add in the butternut, turning over once to coat with butter
- Spoon over marmalade or orange zest
- Pour over whisky (you could use orange juice if you prefer)
- Pop into an oven set to 325 and oven bake until ready, turning half way
- It took about 35 minutes to cook through, but please check it
- You can turn on the grill for a final broiling of the top to brown it nicely
We had it with pork butt that’s a recipe for next time!