These are gluten free and not exactly keto as they have dates, but no sugar added and I used keto chocolate to dip them in. Delicious holiday treats. Big thanks to my Sister who found the base recipe I could work with!
Lastly, I have newfound respect for chocolatiers, as wow, I have never made chocolate sweet treats before. It was a learning experience!
Summary: soften chopped dates in butter, rum and fresh fresh orange juice, add to processed dry ingredients. Form into balls, roll in pistachio and coconut – or either; refrigerate while melting chocolate then cover with chocolate and store in fridge.
Chocolate Date Rum Balls
- 2 cups dates, chopped (about 30 dates/8 oz)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted on stove
- 4 tblsp orange juice
- Zest of orange
- 4 tblsp rum (I only had whisky so used that)
- 2 cups almond flour
- 4 tblsp cocoa
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan ground salt
- 1/2 cup ground pistachio
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (optional)
- 8 oz keto chocolate (I used 3 bars Lily’s Dark Chocolate Orange 2.8 oz each bar)
- Melt butter on stove gently
- Add chopped dates and stir while softening in butter
- Add orange juice, zest and rum or rum essence for alcohol free, to date mix
- Meanwhile, if you’re using pistachios, grind pistachio nuts in processor and place in separate bowl (you will need this later to roll the balls in)
- In food processor blend almond flour, cocoa, cardamom and salt
- When dates are softened add to processed dry ingredients until a ball forms
- Roll tablespoons of dates or make larger ones if you like (I rolled larger ones but I think smaller is better) in your hands, you can oil your hands with nut oil to make it easier if you like (I used pecan oil)
- Roll into ground pistachio or pistachio and shredded coconut mix, or just the coconut if that’s all you have, it’s perfect too!
- Refrigerate balls or place in freezer until nicely chilled
- Melt chocolate bars in a double boiler or bowl over a simmering pot of water
- When balls are chilled roll in chocolate
- Tip: I used a kebab stick and speared the balls and dipped them in the melted chocolate
- Place on baking tray lined with parchment paper
- Pop into fridge to chill
- Store in fridge
- Enjoy … and Happy Holidays!