Aubergine, brinjal, eggplant … whatever you call it, this beautiful vegetable is the perfect keto veggie fat bomb. High in fiber to negate the carbs, it has a wonderful sponge tendency of soaking up oils and seasonings and delivering a delicious meal. You’ll need a large aubergine, sliced in thick disks, marinated in herbs and garlic, brushed with pesto and tomato paste and topped with mature parmesan, then oven baked.
I don’t often buy aubergines, and I should. They are so quick to prepare and always fun to season given their capacity to absorb flavours.
In this recipe I had some keto BBQ sauce I needed to use up and it was the perfect timing. We had this for dinner with a fabulous pork chop my partner cooked to perfection and a green salad.
- 1 large eggplant, sliced
- 2 tblsp paprika
- 2 tblsp oregano
- 2 tblsp Italian herbs
- 2 tblsp parsley
- 1 tblsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1/4 cup tomato paste or BBQ sauce
- 1 cup grated parmesan
Heat oven to 400F bake 15-20 minutes
- Slice aubergine into sandwich thickness rounds
- Pour oil into your baking pan and season with your herbs and spices, mix together
- Dip both sides of the rounds into the oil and seasoning mix, if all the oil is absorbed, add more
- Brush with pesto
- Brush with tomato paste
- Top with cheese and then lightly ground pepper
- Drizzle a tiny bit of olive oil over
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through
You could also do this over courgettes/zucchini or cooked spaghetti squash.
We loved the flavours!
This was absolutely delicious.